Friday, November 7, 2014

NaNoWriMo 2

It almost feels counterproductive to spend time blogging during NaNoWriMo, to write something that does not contribute to the legitimate word count of the novel you are supposed to be working on. But then, I've hardly been working on that novel anyway, and as I explained in my first NaNoWriMo post, I’m not taking the whole thing all that seriously.

But blogging does bring up an interesting element of the whole NaNoWriMo experience, the social media aspect. NaNo participants share a certain connection to each other via the official National Novel Writing Month website. Many of them also blog or Tweet or write Facebook posts about their novel, the process of writing, or the various events that they participate in. There are write-ins and meet-ups that allow many them to work together toward their common goal. I suppose the moral support is important to many of them.

Now I’m not much of a joiner or event attender. For me writing is a solitary activity, and I actually prefer it that way. But I do plan to do some social media stuff to promote my participation, and the book (or books) that will be the final product of my efforts. So I’ll use the hashtags #nanowrimo and #amwriting during November when I Tweet about my activity. I also plan to Tweet a line or two of my day’s best work using the hashtag #lineoftheday (on those days I actually produce something). And so far, based on the Tweet below, that has attracted some attention (favorited by four people).


Yes, this writing already requires editing, even the lines that I have tweeted.

No comments:

Post a Comment